Monday, June 19, 2006

Engaging the lunatics

[politics]
Pharyngula has a post that pretty much sums up how I've been feeling for a while now,
No quarter. Don't ask., regarding his stance of consistently and loudly pointing out the flaws and stupidity of people like 

Lots of people have been telling me to ignore Ann Coulter: that she says outrageous things to get attention, that addressing her antics is exactly what she wants, that the best thing to do is to starve her of the publicity. I sympathize, I really do. It's giving her and her kind far too much credit.

However, I've been hearing the same argument applied to creationists for about 25 years. "Ignore them and they'll go away," or "Serious scientists don't pay attention to the lunatic fringe," they say. We tend our little gardens, and we don't worry about what the crackpot next door is growing in his. But hey, have you noticed something?

Neglect doesn't work.

[/politics]

No comments: