Friday, June 16, 2006



Relevant links:
Google Web Albums
Picasa


So for a few months now, I've been using Google's free Picasa software for sorting through our metric buttloads of pictures, and I've been fairly happy with it. It's got quite a few editing features that are easy to use, and work well enough for me to get decent images of the watercolors I've been doing even though we lack a scanner. My biggest complaint is the lack of a directory-tree view for sorting through pictures; it tries to sort the folders by recent activity or date modified, but in practice it makes finding newly added pictures a little frustrating.

So now Google has come out with a new version of Picasa that meshes with their beta Web Albums service, obviously to compete with services like Flickr and Photobucket. Fair enough, it's about time that Google got into the photo hosting gig, and it looks like they're offering a somewhat differient product than Flickr is. Looks like they're offering 250mb free storage, upgradable for $25/yr to 6gb. Downsides I see: No community, no web-based upload feature. We'll see how it goes when I get an invite.

No comments: