Thursday, August 17, 2006

Links: John Scalzi, Old Man's War

I just finished reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi (his blog's here), and I have to say it's one of the most enjoyable bits of science fiction I've read in a while.  Why?  Because it's smart, funny, and entirely lacks the bits of science fiction I have come to fucking hate over the years.   Either he's got a good editor, or he's frickin' brilliant, or both.  I stayed up late finishing it.

Image hosting by TinyPic

Cory Doctorow gushes all over it, characterizing it as "Starship Troopers without the lectures. It's Forever War with better sex" and that's a fair assesment.  I'm sure the fact that at one point Scalzi serialized the book on his blog before Tor picked it up didn't hurt, since Mr. Doctorow seems to get a great big Creative Commons / Copyleft bulge in his pants when people give away their writing for free online. No doubt due to some personal bias. (Really, go read his stuff. Good + Free = click the damn link)


It's available in trade paperback, and the mass-market paperback is due out in the next month or so.  Also, there's a sequal out that I'm itching to pick up, Ghost Brigade.


And now back to your regularly scheduled radio silence.
-Chris


No comments: